Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Darn Youtube! (and the Internet in general)

As I sit down to spend some daily bonding time with my computer, I have to wonder, about how much time do I waste on the Internet? Probably some amount of hours that I don't want to think about.

Daily Internet Schedule:

Log onto Yahoo! and check e-mail. (5 minutes)
Log onto AOL and delete junk e-mail, (2 minutes) some from Facebook--> so I must check that too
Facebook (5 minutes looking through my own notifications...then recently added pictures (another 30 minutes)...random people's facebooks..(hmmm..how is she doing? 20 minutes..)
Justjared.com-->my daily dose of celebrity news..(15 minutes) Although I don't condone paparazzi and stalking in general, it does serve its purpose to entertain.
perezhilton-->my daily dose of dirty, highly opinionated celebrity news (a.k.a. sketches of penises)..meh..about 20 minutes..he does update often
mugglenet..for about 5 minutes of hope

so..so far totals to about 100 minutes more or less. and this is where I meet my demise.
two websites that are far too addicting: of course, the famed youtube.com and collegeconfidential.com

Visit my youtube and look at not only my subscriptions, but other "related" videos...(endless amount of time)
And of course, collegeconfidential. It's a complete waste of time, other than if you have a specific question to ask..but those "chance me! chance me!" threads are just too good to pass up. Also those early decision results.. for example:

This is a real post on collegeconfidential.com; this person was accepted early to UPenn:

SAT Verbal: 590
* SAT Math: 600
* SAT Writing: 650
* SAT Total: 1250/1800? My math is no so good
* SAT II: Spanish: 800 Chinese: 800 Math 2: 430
* AP/IB taken/scores: Psychology, 2
* GPA weighted: 2.7
* GPA unweighted: 2.5
* Rank or % estimate: 3/4

At first you're like "hmm..scores look kind of poopy.." and then you read on..

State or Country: Somalia
* School Type: private, only most royal familes send children to learn
* Ethnicity: Somalian
* Gender: Male
* Legacy Yes/No: no
* Recruited Yes/No: track and field
* Important ECs: help family with farm chores

Other Factors:

General Comments/Congratulations/etc: I am so happy to be going to AMerica where people can be who they want to. My family is so sad to be losing their top son. I hope to run and run and run at university! Go QUAKERS!


I don't know whether to burst out in laughter or in tears.


Mainly due to the fact that this person may be a fake (don't get me wrong..*cough). But if it's real..wow. just wow. It seems like one of the those inspirational "Homeless to Harvard" type movies all played out in real life, eh? It's so innocent. BUT it could be a fake. So I can't allow my emotions wasted over something fake. The Internet is making me more cynical I swear. I don't believe the goodness and innocence in people anymore! *shudders

SO..i think i should go to sleep.

You may have noticed that I posted this at around 3:34 AM. and it is indeed 3:34 AM. I just like to stay up and hope for inspirational essay ideas from my absent muse. -______-

Goodbyeeeeeeeeeee..Have a lovely day!

-Mary

No comments: